Family is everything. They're our foundation, our future, our heartbeat—and sometimes, a source of frustration and conflict.
Whether you're preparing to expand your family or need help to safeguard yourself and your legacy, the dedicated family law attorneys at The Cronin Law Firm can serve as your trusted legal counselors. We handle the full gamut of family law—whatever matter you're facing, you can count on us to resolve it with the utmost discretion, compassion, and sensitivity.
Michigan Prenuptial and Postnuptial Agreements
Getting married is one of the biggest and most important decisions you'll make in your life. A marriage is more than just an emotional commitment; it's also a legal commitment with long-lasting and wide-ranging financial ramifications.
Though no one expects their marriage to end in divorce, if a divorce does occur, it can threaten to leave your finances in shambles. Michigan law allows couples to enter into a prenuptial (also known as a “prenup” or premarital) agreement that dictates the division of debts and assets in the event of a divorce.
For a premarital agreement to be upheld, it must be fair, executed voluntarily, and entered into in good faith. The state also recognizes similar agreements made between couples who are already married—known as postnuptial agreements or “postnups”—provided that they meet similar requirements.
If you're considering adding a prenuptial or postnuptial agreement to your relationship, we can work with you to ensure that it's valid, enforceable, and achieves your goals.
Divorce, Custody, and Support
Like marriage, divorce is more than just an emotional event; it's a legal process that has the potential to dramatically affect many aspects of your life. However, regardless of whether you initiated the divorce or were informed by your spouse of their decision to end the marriage, we can help you protect your rights, your wishes, and your family during this unsettling and uncertain time. Our boutique law firm accepts all types of Michigan divorce cases, including uncontested or complex divorces, high-conflict or high-asset divorces, and military divorces.
Additionally, our experienced Michigan Divorce attorneys skillfully handle legal challenges that arise throughout the divorce process, such as:
- Property division. Let us help you protect your separate property, ensure the fair division of marital assets and debts, or execute your prenuptial or postnuptial agreement in divorce.
- Child custody. We can assist you in fighting for a fair custody arrangement, a modification to an existing custody agreement, or a parental relocation. We also handle Michigan-based cases involving international custody issues.
- Parenting time and visitation. We will advocate for parenting time and visitation schedule that's in your child's best interests and ensures a consistent and continuing relationship with both loving parents.
- Child support. Though Michigan child support decisions are primarily driven by a mathematical formula, we can use our extensive knowledge to your advantage to make sure that the amount you receive—or pay—is fair.
- Spousal support (alimony). Will you need financial assistance from your spouse during—or even after—a divorce? Let us fight to protect your rights and obtain the support you deserve.
Michigan's Adoption Process
Adoption can be a great way for Michigan residents to grow or complete their families. The state recognizes a number of different types of adoptions, including infant adoptions, state and court ward adoptions, step-parent adoptions, relative adoptions, interstate and international adoptions, and adult adoptions. However, that doesn't mean it's easy to adopt.
From application to acclimation, Michigan's adoption process is complex, lengthy, and challenging. Fortunately, if you've decided to adopt, you can count on us to be by your side each and every step of the way.
Feel Heard, Understood, Supported and Empowered By Our Family Law Attorneys
At The Cronin Law Firm, we pride ourselves on going the extra mile for our clients, providing a supportive, personal touch that continues to make a positive impact in your life long after we've successfully resolved your legal issue. Click the blue "Send Us A Text Message!" button on this page, complete our contact form, or call us at 248-258-3500 today to schedule an appointment for a complimentary initial consultation.