In just a few seconds, a truck accident changed your life. You may, understandably, feel overwhelmed, and you may wonder what you should do next. Our experienced Michigan personal injury lawyers have several tips for you. We want to take the guesswork out of your recovery and help you feel confident that your rights are protected.
Seven Things to Do After a Truck Accident
After a truck wreck, you can protect your rights and recovery by:
- Calling the police. The police will come to the accident scene to investigate the crash, secure the accident scene to prevent secondary accidents, and make sure that anyone who is hurt gets prompt medical attention.
- Gathering evidence at the accident scene. This may include taking pictures, getting witness names and phone numbers, and taking notes about what happened if you are physically able to do so.
- Accepting medical help. If you are in pain or noticeably injured, then you may accept emergency medical help at the accident scene and go to the hospital. Otherwise, you should see your doctor as soon as possible.
- Being cautious about what you say. It is essential to watch what you say at the accident scene and after the crash has cleared. At the scene of the crash, you should not guess what may have caused the accident. After the collision, you should not post anything about the accident on social media or talk directly with the insurance company or trucking company. Instead, let your lawyer handle all communications so that you don’t have to worry about saying something that could hurt your case.
- Notifying your insurance company. Let your own insurer know that the accident happened.
- Preserving evidence. The trucking company may be in control of the evidence that you need. Your lawyer can send the right letter to make sure that all relevant evidence, including the truck, is preserved. Additionally, you should keep any pictures you took or witness information that you have to use in a potential claim.
- Contacting a truck accident lawyer for a free consultation. An attorney can provide you with an honest case evaluation and let you know what you should do next.
Don’t worry if you miss one or more of the steps described above. Physical injuries or the emotional shock of the crash can interfere with what you do after an accident. Our Bloomfield Hills truck accident attorneys understand this, and we are here to help you after a truck wreck.
Contact Top Michigan Truck Accident Attorneys Today
Contact our experienced Bloomfield Hills, Michigan personal injury attorneys today for a free consultation. We would be happy to discuss your rights, your legal options, and your potential recovery so that you can make an educated decision about what to do next.