A 2020 report from the Governors Highway Safety Association found that Michigan ranked 13th in the United States for pedestrian fatalities during the first half of 2019. From January to June 2019, 62 people in our state died in pedestrian crashes.
While you may be grateful to be alive, you are likely living a much different life than you did before the accident. Your severe injuries may have left you with significant medical needs, tremendous pain, and unbelievable emotional suffering. You might be unable to work, go to school, or go about your daily activities.
You may be confused and scared about what to do next, but you are not alone. Our experienced Michigan personal injury attorneys are here to help you every step of the way.
Steps to Take After a Pedestrian Crash
Before you can recover damages in a pedestrian accident case, you must convince the insurance company or court that: (1) someone else is legally responsible for the accident; and (2) it’s appropriate to assign a specific dollar amount to the value of your injuries.
You will need convincing evidence to make your case, which you can get by:
- Calling the police from the accident scene if you are physically able to do so.
- Taking pictures and gathering witness names and contact information at the accident scene, if you can do so.
- Getting medical care as soon as possible after the accident. Prompt medical care is essential for your physical recovery, and your medical records may help prove that the accident caused your injuries. Additionally, immediate medical care is essential to your legal recovery. Once you receive a diagnosis, you should continue following your doctor’s treatment plan to help with both your physical and financial recoveries.
- Avoiding social media. Anything that you post or that others post about you may be misinterpreted and used against you. For example, insurance companies may use pictures or posts to attempt to prove that you aren’t as hurt as you claim.
- Recognizing that the insurance company may watch you. The insurance company wants to find you acting inconsistently with your injuries so that it can minimize how much it pays you in an eventual settlement.
We know that right now things are hard and that the steps described above may seem overwhelming. However, you don’t have to manage your recovery without a lawyer.
Our Bloomfield Hills Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help You Every Step of the Way
Our legal team will make sure that all of your rights are protected, that all evidence is gathered and analyzed, and that all necessary steps are taken to protect your rights. Let us remove the stress of your legal claim from your shoulders during this difficult time. Call our Bloomfield Hills injury attorneys today to discuss your potential case.